RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – As North Carolina’s unemployment rate continues its steady decline, employers across the state are simultaneously ramping up their hiring efforts. There are currently tens of thousands of jobs on offer across the Triangle region alone.
According to the latest data from the North Carolina Department of Commerce, the state’s unemployment rate hovered around 5% in April, reflecting only a slight drop from the previous month. Still, that figure is 8.5 percentage opoints lower than a year ago, when unemployment hit 13.5%.
But the pace of hiring varies widely from sector to sector. April’s most significant job gains came from manufacturing, construction, leisure and hospitality services, information technology, and education and health services, per NC Department of Commerce data. At the same time, professional and business services, trade, transportation and utilities, government, financial activities, mining and logging, and other services saw decreases.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Boards
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (five-mile radius filter): 12,300 jobs in Raleigh, 12,060 in Durham and 11,842 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 44,297 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (using the “exact location” filter): 16,258 jobs in Raleigh, 8,425 in Durham and 2,424 in Chapel Hill
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 49,154 in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 22,551 jobs in Raleigh, 10,383 in Durham and 2,052 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower (20-mile radius): 22 jobs in Raleigh, 12 in Durham and 8 in Chapel Hill
- ZipRecruiter (five-mile filter): More than 26,001 jobs in Raleigh, 11,862 in Durham and 3,671 in Chapel Hill
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (253 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,264 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (267 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire earlier this month that it’s looking to fill several jobs across its product development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include software quality assurance engineer, senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect, product owner, product specialist in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), senior account executive and client support specialist. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 25 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 30 results in Durham and 26 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Three new jobs were added to the site since last week’s roundup:
- Nugget, a local startup that sells kids’ furniture, is hiring a digital marketing director at its office in Butner (outside of Durham).
Three former UNC-CH grads behind the season’s hottest toy
- Durham-based entrepreneurship nonprofit Forward Cities is looking for a senior manager of marketing and communications to run its digital storytelling platforms.
- The North Carolina Bar Association is hiring a marketing specialist in Cary.
- UNC Chapel Hill’s Office of University Communications is looking for a social media content producer.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
No new jobs were added to the site over the past week. But earlier this month, Durham-based digital consultancy Pathos Ethos posted two job listings for an iOS developer and an Android developer.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
NC Biotech internship program opens career doors for UNC informatics graduate – here’s her story
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
Over the last week (since May 24), several new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Additive manufacturing software engineer at Trio Labs in Durham
- Scientist specializing in immunology process development at CoImmune in Durham
- Postdoctoral fellow and research scientist at Duke University’s Cell Death Laboratory in Durham
- Postdoctoral associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Frankel Staffing Partners is looking for a remote clinical data scientist for its client, a North Carolina organization that operates a cancer research data-sharing platform.
- Operations manager at Advanced Animal Diagnostics in RTP
- Research and clinical laboratory scientist at Galaxy Diagnostics in RTP
- Environmental monitoring technician at Alcami in Morrisville
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
A few local jobs were added since last week’s roundup:
- Raleigh-based BlueRecruit, a software platform that connects skilled trade workers with potential employers, is hiring a digital marketing intern.
- Jackrabbit Technologies, a class management platform for children’s activity centers, is hiring a web application developer. (The company is located just outside of Charlotte in Huntersville, but it allows employees to work remotely.)
- Advanced Animal Diagnostics, an ag tech company in Morrisville, is hiring a manager/director of operations.
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 6,550 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, and over 100 new jobs were posted on Sunday alone.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings, as of May 30:
- Wake County Public School System (3,269 jobs)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,187)
- UNC Health Care System (978)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (529)
- EY (466)
- McDonald’s Corporation (426)
- NC State University (421)
- Deloitte (409)
- Facebook (310)
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University (1,300 jobs)
- Cisco Systems (724)
- IQVIA (657)
- Durham Public Schools (577)
- Duke University Health System (318)
- BAYADA Home Health Care (302)
- Duke University and Duke University Health System (286)
- Cree (263)
- Fidelity Investments (222)
- Cerner Corporation (213)
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System (987)
- UNC Chapel Hill (633)
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (288)
- Orange County Schools (76)
- McDonald’s Corporation (46)
- Palladium Group (43)
- Great Clips (42)
- Food Lion (41)
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation (40)
- Piedmont Health Services (38)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page earlier this year. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 180 positions at 26 companies.
Several new jobs were added over the past week:
- Raleigh startup Pendo, which plans to hire 400 workers this year, added listings for an analytics engineering manager, an enablement and education manager and an engineering VP.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, added some remote and in-person job listings for its Raleigh office: Design operations manager, remote technical data manager, senior project manager, project manager, lead product designer and remote Java clinical programmer.
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm in Durham, is hiring a scientific data analyst and a bioanalytical associate scientist in Durham.
- Raleigh edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring a data engineer, product analyst, research and development project manager and a VP/director of product.
- Rezdy, a booking and distribution platform, is hiring a people and culture manager at its Raleigh office.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs.
Don’t forget #TriangleTuesdays starts tomorrow! You can mention @WorkTriangleNC or use our hashtag #TriangleTuesdays to submit a job for FREE! Anyone is welcome to post their jobs to our page if the jobs are in #Wake County or the #Triangle. @RaleighWake @raleighchamber
— Work In The Triangle (@WorkTriangleNC) May 24, 2021
Posts from last Tuesday (May 25) included openings from:
- UNC Health
- The City of Raleigh
- UNC’s Center for Health Equity Research
- Duke Energy
- Wake County
- Duke Raleigh Hospital
- Met Life
- UNC’s Adams School of Dentistry
- UNC School of Law
- SAS Institute
- Capitol Broadcasting (WRAL TechWire’s parent company)
- First Citizens
- Martin Marietta
- NC State University
- Red Hat
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Fifth Third Bank
- Fred Smith Company
- First National Bank
- RTI International
- UNC’s Kenan Flagler Business School
- Thread Capital
- New Kind
- Botanist and Barrel
- PlayMakers Repertory Company
- Environmental Protection Agency
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for details on the openings.
Upcoming Job Events and Program Application Deadlines
Wake County Hospitality Job Fair: June 10, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
Capital Area Workforce Development is hosting its virtual Wake County Hospitality Job Fair to connect job seekers with recruiters at local hotels and restaurants. Participating employers include Hilton, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Panera Bread, Raleigh Convention and Performing Arts Complex, The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Wegmans Food Markets, Trophy Brewing and more.
Triangle Women in STEM Summer Intern Event: June 17, 6-7:15 p.m. (online)
Triangle Women in STEM is hosting its 5th summer intern event, presented virtually through Zoom. Microsoft U.S. CTO Gina Loften will deliver a keynote discussing her career path, risks worth taking, personal branding, professional best practices and mentorship. A Q&A, along with career-specific breakout sessions, will follow.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: